Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 2: Small Reflections


I was walking to my apartment when I noticed this little fountain. I've pasted this fountain everyday since I moved in September and never noticed how pretty it can be. I always thought it was such a pointless thing to have because it's such a small unattractive looking fountain and a waste of money. But around midday when the sun is high, the light is very soft on the water. The water makes a perfect reflection of light, but I think the casting of the shadows over the fountain makes best effect. I think a tree has a very specific shape and design that creates the best shadows like a gobo. With the movement of the water, the light and the other elements that contribute to this effect like the blue sky and the white buildings, this disguises the ugly brown color of the bottom of the fountain. This made me realize that light can hide and move attention to other places that you wouldn't expect.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't even know this fountain isn't usually this gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post!

    A good glimpse into how the lighting designer will provide selective visibility - directing the eye where to look and also how to look at an object or performer

    ReplyDelete