Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 2: The Tech World of Award Shows

I recently attended the People's Choice Awards with a friend of mine. To start, I have never been to an awards show of this caliber, really one of any caliber, so this whole experience was extremely surreal. Although I was a bit starstruck to be in the same vicinity as some major celebrities (Morgan Freeman, Neil Patrick Harris, my girl Betty White), I was more in awe of all the technical elements happening all at once all around me. The speed at which lights were shifting, sound was going, and transitions were happening was uncanny and all I kept thinking about was what a paper tech or a dry run of this event must be like. The picture above is just a taste of what it was like to be there. The whole time I was fascinated with the probably hundreds of Source 4s, movers, spinners, and LCD screens constantly shifting, changing, and creating the atmosphere in the theatre. The lights were bold and exciting while creating a very energetic and buzzing space. The lights shifted for each presenter, each musical act, and even between the show during commercial breaks. I felt sucked in and almost jumpy being there from all the energy and colors being used. Needless to say, the lighting designer in me was in heaven and hell at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!

    They do throw everything at those events and sometimes the technology wins over any aesthetic taste

    Nice post and analysis of so much kinetic energy

    ReplyDelete