Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 4: Blackout!!



This past Thursday, January 26, there was a blackout on my block. At first we thought we blew a circuit, since we know what those are now, but realized that our unit wasn't the only one experiencing darkness.  Our whole apartment complex was dark including the street lights, with the exception of the traffic lights (I'm assuming they have backup for those).  For means of light we lit all the candles we could find.  Luckily, I charged my computer so I used that for light as well, as you can see in the first picture.  Being only in the presence of candles, with the exception of my computer, it's interesting to see how things look and appear: the shadows and the way the light hits things.  It's truly fascinating how raw and natural everything appeared to be.  I also started staring at the candle itself, hence the second picture.  I like looking at the burning wick, how it's base is a hot blue lying in a sea of wax.  I don't know what it is but candles are always just so peaceful.  It also brings people together.  Not being able to be distracted by TV or video games every once in a while is nice.

2 comments:

  1. Good observations! I like how you noticed that the blue color at the base of the candle and how the candles and your computer light made the different shadows and lights it created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice images - yes, candlelight has a truly calming effect

    I have always enjoyed the occasional blackout

    Nice post

    Street lights are on a different system, to avoid them going out

    ReplyDelete