Thursday, January 26, 2012

Weeks #3 & 4- World of Color





I visited Disneyland this past week and had was able to see the World of Color show. I'd seen it before, but now that I've begun class I was able to have even more appreciation for the work designers put into this show. For those who haven't seen it... you should! The show is entirely made up of light and projections on water, set to music. Though these pictures are poor quality, you can clearly see the vast amount of lighting instruments that had to be used (especially in pictures one and two). There are multiple times where large soft brush strokes are used to create a color wash, but much of the time the strokes are focused and precise. The moods these lights create are magnificent! The audience constantly "oohed and awed."

After class the other day when we discussed electric theory, I couldn't help but think how much planning had to go into keeping this show safe. A greater part of the electrics and instruments live underwater. Maintenance on this show has got to be one hell of a job! Beyond that, programming this show must have taken weeks, if not months.

Needless to say, this show is a lighting design feat! I left feeling excited to learn more in class and with a greater appreciation for lighting designers.

I'm telling you, if you're at Disney's California Adventure, GO SEE THIS SHOW!!!!

-Ashley Henley

2 comments:

  1. Lucky!!!! I haven't been to Disney Land in FOREVER, and I've been meaning to just to see this show. It's crazy how they were able to project actual images onto the water. It makes me wonder how they were able to have the lights be safe so near the water. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice detailed post!

    It is a great show and a few friends of mine did the programming and it was months :)

    NIce job

    ReplyDelete