Sunday, January 8, 2012

Poseidon's Light

I recently visited Las Vegas and my friends and I were walking past Caesars Palace when I saw these statues of Poseidon and friends lit in amazing changing colors. We took the obligatory tourist photos standing on the edge of the fountain in front of the statues but when I turned around to look at the light behind me the lights were changing colors in very pleasant shades of blue, red, purple, green, yellow, etc. I really enjoyed this spectacle of light as Vegas can get away with it. I was just thinking if I was standing in front of a fountain in Europe the lighting of the statue would be completely different, subdued. Perhaps, there would be no lighting just a street lamp or atmospheric lights from shops nearby. However, I was standing in front of a fountain in Las Vegas so the brilliantly bright colors changing before me were completely appropriate and creating atmospheric pleasure before my eyes. I stood and took several pictures of the statue to try to get the different colors but this one was my favorite. The cool blue Poseidon stoically posing in front of a warm background of sculptured women. I really liked how the placement of the lights highlighted the curves and cuts of the body on the statues making them look more sculpted and pronounced. However, how some of the lights were focused or pointed, a lot of glare was created. I really enjoyed passing by this fountain and seeing how Vegas could combine a classical looking fountain with a modern lighting design.
---------Stacy McKenney

No comments:

Post a Comment