Saturday, March 3, 2012

Week 8: Dimension

I parked at the top of my friend's apartment parking structure next to Diamond Jamboree and went through a maze of white wall, cement floor hallways until I reached a hallway where all of the doors to the apartments were. I don't know if it was because I was struck with insane asylum white hallways before I got to the hallway the hallway that I have taken picture of, but I thought the lighting in this hallway was really different from other apartment complexes I have been to. I tried to picture this hallway without this highlighting of the walls, and I think it would appear narrower than it does now. I think the angle of the lights, the placement and spacing provides more dimension and depth to the hallway. It definitely doesn't provide the dimension that two lights from two different angles focused on one point would, but it does add a different effect to the walls. The lighting breaks the monotonous one tone color of the wall and the dark paint color. If the designer just used regular ceiling lights, I think the color of the walls would make the hallway appear darker and longer, almost like a "Green Mile" "dead man walking" kind of appearance. This design does not incorporate additional color to the lights, but merely a simple pattern of lights.

1 comment:

  1. Given architectural lighting, this was probably more of a happy accident than anything else but nice observances of pattern and scale created by light

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete