Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blue Sky Rain - Week 6

I took this picture on Tuesday, when it was raining like no other mother, and one of my favorite views of the sky appeared in front of me. It is hard to tell from this picture, because I took it on my lousy little phone, but it was still raining when I took the picture, and yet it was lighter than it usually is when there is heavy cloud cover, and you can see blue sky in the distance. It always feels like the sky is trying to give us the best of both worlds: Rain and Blue sky all at once! Who could ask for more?

As I was taking the picture I was thinking of how difficult it would be to light a scene such as this. Usually when it is raining heavily it is very dark because of the thick clouds, and everything feels more closed in because of the rain forcing you to keep your head down. But at this moment it suddenly had become much brighter, yet the rain was still falling. It was an odd in-between transitional place, somewhere between sunlight and rain, but closer to the rain side if one were to draw a spectrum. The brightness mixed with the still falling rain made wonderful reflections and fascinating splashes that shone in ways they normally do not on a cloudy day. I think this would be a real challenging scenario to light, but it would be fun to try.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when this happens - I have a distinct memory of this when I was young - one of my first moments falling in love with light!

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete