Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 4: Glowing Succulents



I stepped into my backyard today to admire my dad’s gardening. I love going outside when then sun is straight above the earth illuminating everything it touches. When I saw these tall succulents as the sunlight hit them from behind, it appeared as if they were glowing. When I took the photo I tried positioning myself so that the sun was completely behind the plant. I found this was very reminiscent of our discussion of Color Theory and how light passing through the gels cancel out certain colors. Here it’s as if the succulent petals are acting as a type of “gel” as the sunlight illuminates it.  I also thought about the challenges a lighting designer might encounter when trying to emulate a natural sunlight setting in a theatrical space. From this photo I’m definitely seeing a softer hue of blue as well as what I would perceive as “white light” from the sun.  I’m glad I didn’t miss out on the opportunity to take this photo considering the sun would have been in a different position had I taken it at a different time. Perhaps I would have even captured a different effect!

1 comment:

  1. Great photo and I agree that it is very soft. vs the harshness that the sun can often produce

    Nice image and post

    ReplyDelete