Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 4: Toy's R Us in NYC




Hey guys, how's it going? I've took a long trip to NYC to audition in Graduate school. Anyway during a long break I went to the Toy's R US at 42nd street in downtown Manhattan to kill some time and they completely redid the entire store. Every section of this store had a certain theme. When I came into this section, I was completely awed at the T-Rex that stood in front of me. It's a different contrast to the other sections of the store and I looked above and noticed theater lights fixed on certain positions of the area. It was crowded so I tried my best to take a shot that had the T-Rex.

In terms of the picture, I really dig the brightness inside the area with the toys and contrasting it with the dim, minimal light outside the section. By doing this you can clearly see the product they have to offer inside the section and at the same time, people are drawn to the Jurassic Park sign and obviously the T-Rex model. They used one of two spotlights so the T-Rex could get a little focus and one important thing to notice is the yellow-orange ceiling in the top. The ceiling isn't that color for all the sections, but because it's a bit dark up there, it helps bring our attention to the main attraction.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis of themed lighting - the orange ceiling is definitely taking colors from the film and the theatrical lights do call nice attention to the figure

    ReplyDelete