Sunday, February 19, 2012

Week 6: Work Related Adventures


While working this weekend at Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney (Anaheim), I noticed for the first time how realistic the lighting was. This picture doesn't do it justice, but the lighting is manipulated in a way that makes it look as though the sun is peeking through the trees. This reminded me of Grant Markin's lighting presentation last Wednesday (bittersweet exploration).
While waiting to be seated on the bottom floor of the restaurant you can see rays of "sunshine" that make bold streaks, as though it's coming through a small crevice or canopy, and then cascade down the steps towards you. When I took the time to notice the lighting on these steps, I realized how realistic it looked. I felt as though I was inside a stone temple somewhere in the rainforest ready to start a new adventure. The lighting gives an inviting, adventurous atmosphere to the steps that makes one want to climb them to see what lies ahead.
I really wish the picture would have turned out better. Maybe you'll just have to come visit me while I'm working to see what I mean. :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice image and analysis of themed lighting - sometime more simplistic than theatre but can be as much fun and challenging

    Always game for a trip to DT Disney :)

    ReplyDelete